Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is an organization which promotes interaction among those who share a commitment to music, and has long been recognized as a leader in the field of music and provides a lifetime of fraternity contact. Sigma Alpha Iota accepts with pride the responsibilities and privileges of being a leader in the pursuit of music creation, performance, and scholarship.
SAI was founded on June 12, 1903 at the University School of Music, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Incorporation papers, under the laws of the State of Michigan, were signed December 1, 1904, and recorded December 15, 1904.
To encourage, nurture and support the art of music.
To be recognized throughout the world as the foremost fraternity that:
- Supports and encourages women musicians of all ages, races, and nationalities
- Supports and promotes successful and innovative educational programs in music for all stages of life
- Cultivates excellence in musical performance
- Promotes programs and activities that stress the love and importance of music in our lives
- Recognizes technological advances in the field of music
- Dedicates financial resources that ensure the continuation of programs necessary to support the objectives of the fraternity in perpetuity
- Has as its members people who exemplify professional and ethical behavior in the spirit of the Sigma Alpha Iota founders
- TO FORM chapters of women college students and alumnae who have a sincere interest in music.
- TO UPHOLD the highest standards of music.
- TO FURTHER the development of music in America and throughout the world.
- TO GIVE inspiration and encouragement to members.
- TO ORGANIZE the cultural life of Sigma Alpha Iota members as a contributing factor to their educational growth.
- TO SUPPORT the ideals and goals of the member’s Alma Mater.
- TO ADHERE to the highest standards of citizenship in school, community and fraternity life.
Our National Objectives
We, the members of Sigma Alpha Iota, will:
- Recommit ourselves to the fulfillment of Fraternity responsibilities and ideals, while also nurturing an atmosphere of sisterhood.
- Celebrate and respect the diversity of our membership through appreciation of our varied educational, musical, occupational, generational, and cultural experiences.
- Actively support SAI Philanthropies, Inc., our charitable arm, by learning about and participating in its projects, and by making chapter and individual donations a priority.
- Honor and respect our Ritual, both its music and words, through careful study and dedication to excellence in its presentation.
- Strengthen our lifelong commitment to SAI through active membership in chapters and the national Alumnae Association.
- Promote music education through ongoing volunteerism, performance attendance, and support of local programs.
- Advance American composers, especially women, through new commissions, performances of their works, and concert attendance.
Sigma Alpha Iota Philanthropies, Inc., created in 1974 as a tax-exempt, nonprofit organization, is the charitable arm of Sigma Alpha Iota, international music fraternity. Its mission is to promote all aspects of music creation, performance and scholarship; and encourage service for and through music on the campus, in the community, in the nation, and throughout the world.
Learn more about SAI Philanthropies here.